A week in the life of a housewife was started by SuperSlavisWife http://yourwifeisevolving.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/two-weeks-in-the-life-of-the-rural-housewife/ and continued by Elspeth http://lovingintheruins.wordpress.com/2014/10/05/adventures-in-homemaking-a-week-in-the-life-of-a-suburban-housewife/. Usually I post housewife stuff over at To Be Lovely (my blogspot address) but because most of y’all are WP users, I’m posting it here. Hope you enjoy.
A little explanation…………..
My life is mostly about keeping all the plates spinning. I do a tremendous amount of “touch this and keep it going”. That’s how I work with the kids… I “touch in” and make sure they understand the work they’re doing, I make sure they’re on task, staying on target with their project completion, etc. I “touch in” with the house. I clean… but rarely do I sit down and do a big cleaning session. But if the phone rings, magically I’m on my feet, and I have busy hands for the whole phone call. So my house is always reasonably clean. Seldom sparkly, never disgusting, often cluttered of a Monday morning with weekend debris.
And I get interrupted constantly! Well, Wednesday afternoon was a great example of that. I wanted to work on a sleeve. I worked for five minutes, I got interrupted. I worked for 10 minutes, I got interrupted. Argh! Sometimes I find that extended time to do what I’m doing is luxury indeed. Saturday afternoon … it just says “sewing”. I had three hours to sew, uninterrupted (well, mostly. I stopped and made tea for my husband, I wandered in and out of the kitchen turning off the potatoes and eggs when they were done… I’m pretty sure I let the dog out….) and I made the sleeve. Sunday I had some uninterrupted time in the garden. (I interrupted myself on that one – it was hot out there! So I popped in to drink water and cool down before heading back out to beat on the greenery some more.)
When I was logging the times, I stopped feeling like this was an exercise, and started getting stressed out (it’s not a long journey right now) and feeling like the Internet Universe as a whole was watching me. So I went to a list. That and the moment when I was walking around my bedroom in putting away laundry and deciding on my dress for dinner. Should that log as “getting dressed for dinner” or “putting away laundry”? Hm. Am I the fastest dresser in the world or biggest procrastinator about hanging up my skirts?
And yes, I do spend a lot of time on the ‘net. Most of it is five minutes or less, as I take a mini-break in between chores. Sometimes I take a longer time, either because I’m waking up or waiting for someone! I have a high-speed connection and my computer is in the main traffic pattern through the house – it’s very easy to take 30 seconds and see if anyone is up to anything. Also, I only connect with my husband during the day via email, so I’m constantly checking that to see if he’s written me. It can get obsessive. I know that SuperSlavisWife originally set this up to prove that we really DON’T spend all day on boards and whatevs… and you know? I don’t. I have in other seasons in my life (I’ve been down for the count medically a time or two) and … yeah, I’ve got RL stuff to do, thanks.
Feel free to ask questions about any of this stuff that doesn’t make sense.
Wednesday, October 1
630am: Up. Let dog out. Feed him. Check water in dish to see if it requires refilling or changing. (It does). Make a cup of tea, turn on computer. Do devotions (2chp Acts, 1 chp Proverbs, 1 chp Psalms) and pray.
700am: Computer on. Check email, check “usual places”. Send morning email to husband at work. Drink tea and wake up.
730am: Wake kids up. Hang laundry from last night. Refill washing machine, turn on. Put away dry dishes from last night.
800am: Kids start school. I work out – Ttapp today.
845am: Discuss writing assignment with 14yo.
900am: Discuss writing assignment with 10yo.
915am: Dress for day, including corset, put up hair. Web surf, answer email.
940am: Hang second load of laundry, reload washer.
10am: Cheese and apricot snack.
1010am: Errands – Target and chiropractor
1115am: Put away groceries.
1130am: Make lunch for all (fried rice – mostly I don’t make lunch, but I had a bunch of little bits of food that needed eating up).
1145am: Ate lunch.
1200pm: BFF calls, take down load #1, hang load #3. (Load #1 was sheets)
1230pm: Take nap
2pm: check on kids. Check on email/boards.
245pm: School stuff.
320pm: Mom picks up kids for afternoon/evening
330pm: Take in all laundry. Shut down sewing area. Put laundry away.
400pm: Get dressed for dinner, including makeup.
420pm: Goof off and wait for husband to come home.
500pm: Out with husband.
600pm: Pick up son, take him to Jr. High mid-week service. Go home and hang out with husband.
745pm: Pick up 14yo
820pm: Chat to Mom, who dropped off 10yo.
900pm: Send 10yo to bed. Call cats inside, feed them. Let dog out for the last time.
Thursday, October 2…
I got sick of writing down times about noon on this day. So this is the list of the stuff I did. You should assume random interruptions to do school stuff with my kids throughout the day.
– Morning routine. See yesterday. I do the same stuff every morning.
– Didn’t have to wake up daughter today, she had insomnia and woke up at 3am. Woke up son though. 😉
– Sheet changing day… I start by stripping my bed, then I take the feather mattress outside and flop it over the cross bar on the end of my clothesline. I leave it there until at least mid-afternoon, when I take it inside, fluff it up, and make my bed with fresh sheets. Yes, it’s heavy/unwieldy. But this is totally worth doing, it smells *wonderful*.
-Swept all the floors. I don’t have carpet… so that’s my whole house. I sweep the kitchen every night and the other rooms as needed. Sprayed them with vinegar/water solution and damp-mopped them too.
– Worked out. T-Tapp again.
– Washed the rugs and the dog beds today – two loads worth of stuff I keep on the floors.
– Discussed school stuff with my kids, variously.
– Went to the grocery store for our weekend stuff. Ended up being a fairly big run. Obviously then I come home and put it away… :p
– Drove up to BFF’s house with two heavy bags of books for her 3yo, picked up our folding table that was up there from this weekend. Chatted to BFF’s MIL who was there doing some dishes and cleaning up while BFF is at chemo.
– put the rugs back down and reassembled the dog beds.
– made a big batch of guac from a pile of ripe avocados I had that were about to go over-ripe. (Guac freezes, avocados don’t).
– Cooked the rest of dinner. Pollo asada, rice, pineapple, salsa (I bought it this time), guac, snacking carrots
– Evening chores: Tidied up kitchen, loaded dishwasher, start laundry (I generally put a load on before I go to bed at night).
– Went to bed.
Friday, October 3
- Morning stuff.
- Flipped the laundry
- Took daughter to beach to collect shells. Very bad shell collecting time of year. Boy walking with his grandfather. We walked for about 30 min.
- Dropped 10yo off with grandmother to hang out because I had to go to meeting
- Went to a Bible study meeting.
- Picked up kids
- Had lunch
- Harassed children about their schoolwork
- Put roast in the crockpot
- Hung laundry
- Took a nap
- Hung out with BFF
- Made dinner (crock pot pot roast, Italian fryup with kale, fennel, carrots, onion; baked potatoes)
- Took 14yo to his youth theater
- Took dinner up to BFF
- Brought in the laundry
- Cleaned kitchen up for the night
- Picked son up from theater
- Took a bath
- Went to bed
Saturday, October 4
- Up @8, morning stuff.
- Snuggles with husband. Yes, I go back to bed with my husband to snuggle if he’s not working. He gets up at 5am for work, so this is a nice treat.
- Make big breakfast (GF pancakes, bacon, OJ, coffee)
- Go to an estate sale. Briefly – total bust. (I was hoping for some patio furniture).
- Make sweet tea for husband, who has decided to potter around and clean up garage.
- Put potatoes and eggs on to boil
- Harassed children about their writing projects, gave daughter a language arts test.
- Sewed – made embroidered sleeve (three hoursish)
- Made dinner (hamburgers, potato salad, fixins, carrots w/ranch dressing)
- Went to church
- Cleaned up the kitchen
- Did the dishes
Sunday, October 5
- Up @8, morning stuff.
- Snuggles with husband.
- Make breakfast (chorizo w/scrambled eggs and cheese, OJ, pineapple l/o, salsa, coffee)
- Put chicken in the crockpot for dinner with dry seasonings
- Researched monkey grass (creeping liriope/lilyturf). (Anything that takes multiple doses of round-up to kill **after mowing** or which should have RU applied *with a sponge* is a nasty evil brat).
- Spent a couple of hours in the garden, tidying up plot by front door, weeding, clipping rosebushes, that sort of thing.
- Loaded dishwasher, got kitchen ready for work. Flipped chicken over, added bbq sauce.
- Made jicama slaw
- Cleaned kitchen back up a bit
- Blogged recipe for slaw
- Called Mom while making the squash and rice for supper.
- (Crockpot BBQ chicken, chicken-rice, jicama slaw, butternut squash)
- Packed up dinner for BFF, put away food. Took dinner “upstairs”.
- Was sad, because 10yo and I were the only ones who really LIKED the slaw/dinner as a whole. Sweet-spicy-main dishes aren’t DH’s thing. Oh well.
- Emptied/filled dishwasher.
- Made after-dinner coffee.
- Made schedule for week/menu/grocery list
- Plugged in kids’ PE and reading logs for first unit
- Printed out schedules for second unit for kids
- Sorted laundry, started load for tomorrow
- Cleaned kitchen for night – inc stovetop/sides, floors, reloaded dishwasher
- Put out DH’s clothes for tomorrow work
- Gave pill to dog
- Put 10yo to bed
- Got cats in (with 14yo)
- Went to bed
Monday, October 6
- 630am… Morning stuff.
- Wake kids up. Hang laundry from last night. Refill washing machine, turn on.
- Kids start school. I work out – Ttapp today Had to find a book for 10yo to read for her free-reading time. (I gave her “Wrinkle in Time”)
- Briefly discuss biography with 10yo. She’s sleepy. “Go do your grammar then”.
- Hang second load of laundry
- Brush hair and get dressed to go out.
- Gave 10yo spelling test
- Went grocery shopping (three stores)
- Lunch, brunch, whatever.
- Allergy meds and a quick nap. Or not. (I laid down for a few minutes. Stress and meds got me back up).
- Called Mom and put away drygoods.
- Called BFF, went upstairs and combed her hair out and put a scarf in it. (Her hair is starting to fall out, so I was … um… combing out her hair more than combing it out. Does that make more sense?)
- Called Pagan Mom, cleaned litter boxes & cat area
- Brought in laundry, put away
- Ate some potato salad l/o. (lunch? Snack?)
- Emptied dishwasher, ran cleaning cycle
- Washed some by hand (dishwasher getting cranky)
- Started supper (Spaghetti w/homemade sauce, brown rice pasta, salad, homemade ranch)
- Paid bills, did monthly financial report for husband
- Reloaded dishwasher, made salad (10yo made ranch)
- Made tapioca pudding and mango sauce (scratch)
- Chatted to DH on the phone while he came home from work
- Collected BFF and her son, all ate supper. (Sent food home for her DH and her son, who didn’t actually eat, because he’s 3 and would rather run circles).
- They left. Ate dessert. Nomnomnom.
- Put dinner away neatly, portioning half of the dessert out for tomorrow night, plus all the mango sauce (we had “plain” warm tapioca tonight. The horror).
- Mopped the bathroom floor. Apparently my oldest cat doesn’t like screaming 3yo. –sigh-
- Put rug in washing machine.
- Swept/mopped family room (mostly). (Bowl got broken).
- Put 10yo to bed.
- Filled the dishwasher (yes, again).
- Put DH’s clothes out.
- Called in cats, gave dog his pills.
- Made a cup of chamomile/lavender tea. Took some Advil. Went to bed.
Tuesday, October 7
- 630 up. Morning things. Same bat time, same bat channel
- Sort laundry, start a load of whites (forgot to last night)
- Wake kiddos up
- Big breakfast, cup of cocoa (yes, unusual – today I need the energy)
- Put together paperwork for unit 1 (charter school meeting)
- Phone w Pagan Mom
- Ironed two girldresses and a husband shirt
- Hang first load laundry, reboot, hang second load of laundry
- Clean both bathrooms, change rugs
- Cheese snack
- Meeting w/charter school counselor prep – getting all papers together, put label on box for cousin J’s baby.
- Mtg @ charter school
- Post office to mail package, get stamps, mail bills
- Home (it’s almost 3pm now). Eat some granola and chill out a few
- Have a bath
- Kids do chores, 10yo heads upstairs to tire out BFF’s 3yo a bit
- Put chicken on to boil, flip dishwasher, make peanut sauce
- Put extra PB sauce in freezer
- Brought in/put away laundry
- Made dinner, called BFF to bring 10yo down so she’d not get too tired/so they could all eat supper
- Dinner (Rice-wrapped chicken rolls w/PB sauce, chicken rice)
- Tidied up after dinner
- Served dessert (tapioca w/mango sauce) (wasn’t very good, I didn’t eat mine)
- Followed DH around like a puppy for a while
- Put a load of laundry on
- Loaded dishwasher, handwashed some dishes, swept/mopped kitchen floor
- Made a cup of sleepy tea, took some Advil
- Put 10yo to bed, went to bed. (Gave dog pill, let 14yo get cats in).